Hello, people. Today I’m going to write a detailed guide on Polypropylene or PP-R pipe sizes & dimensions.
PP-R Pipe Sizes & Dimensions –
|Nominal Pipe Size||OD (In inches)||ID (In Inches)||OD (In inches)||ID (In Inches)||OD (In inches)||ID (In Inches)||OD (In inches)||ID (In Inches)||OD (In inches)||ID (In Inches)|
Welding Guidelines with Optimum Operating Pressure –
Outside diameter for pipe (mm)
|Heating up (Second)||Processing (Second)||Cooling Period (Minute)||
Depth of welding (mm)
Optimum Operating Pressure For Polypropylene Pipes –
Service life in years
The values mentioned in the tables are reliable and sourced from credible sources. However, there might be a certain variance in the actual product. So, consult a professional before making any final decision.
Advantages of PP-R Pipes –
- Lightweight is one of the salient benefits offered by polypropylene pipes. It has a density of 0.91g/cm3, 80% less than steel pipe and 90% less than copper pipe. That results in significant cost reduction in transportation and eases the already vigorous installation process.
- PP-R pipes are made from PP, which comprises polyolefin thermoplastics, whose molecules are mainly composed of carbon and hydrogen. With almost no toxic and harmful elements involved, PP-R pipes promise a reliable, hygienic performance. PPR pipes can be utilized in cold and hot water systems and indirect drinking water systems.
- Apart from a few oxidants, the PP-R pipe shows tremendous corrosion resistance. It will not corrode, will not rust, will not have electromechanical corrosion, and will not breed bacteria.
- The thermal conductivity of PP-R is 0.23w/m℃ giving, making it a good heat preserver. It is only one-twentieth of that of steel pipe (43-52w/m℃) of steel pipe (43-52w/m℃). The great heat preserving the capability of PP-R pipes saves a lot of resources used for metal pipes, primary in hot water and heating systems, Specifically insulation materials and energy.
- Small water flow resistance as the inner wall of PP-R pipe is smooth. The pipe will not scale, and the wear resistance system is only 0.007, which is significantly lower than that of the metal pipe. The water flow capacity is also 30-35% higher than the metal pipes of the same specification.
- PP-R pipes possess good heat welding performance. Because the hot melt connection made between the pipes and fittings is made from the same polypropylene material and other is no interface. The piping system becomes a whole making the hot melt connection of this pipe better than other metal or even plastic pipes. During construction, there is no room for leakage at the connection part for long-term use.
Engaging Read – ABS Pipe Sizes & Dimensions For Schedule 40 and 80
Applications of Polypropylene Pipes –
PP-R pipes have a variety of applications. Below are the most common PP-R uses and applications:
- PP-R is utilized to build hot and cold water systems, also including central heating systems, floors, walls, and radiant heating systems.
- PP-R pipes can be used indirectly in purified water drinking water supply systems.
- PP-R pipes are the most preferred piping systems for central air conditioning systems.
- The industrial sector, specifically the chemical sector, prefers PP-R and PVDF pipes for transferring hazardous chemicals.
1. Is PP-R safe for drinking water?
Ans. PP-R pipes are considered to be a relatively safer option for making drinking water piping systems as it is made from polyolefins which are mainly comprised of carbon and hydrogen atoms.
2. Which is better, CPVC or PPR?
Ans. The biggest difference between the two lies in their physical properties. CPVC has 60% more tensile strength and almost double the flexural strength than PP-R. That outstanding strength provides CPVC with better rates than the latter.
3. Which is better, PP-R or PVC?
Ans. PVC is heavier than PP-R and gets better corrosion resistance capabilities but can’t resist high temperatures. Therefore PVC is mainly used for cold water transportation, and PP-R is used for hot water transportation.
4. How is PP-R pipe sizes measured?
Ans. To measure the size of the PP-R pipe, one needs to use a flexible measuring tape. Divide the circumference by pi to get the exact value of the pipe’s outside diameter (OD). For example – the pipe’s circumference is 12.57 inches, and you divide it by the value of pi (3.14), then you get the OD of 4 inches.
5. Which is better, PP-R or PEX?
Ans. As established above, PP-R is suitable for cold and hot water pressurized plumbing and mechanical systems. PEX is a form of polyethylene with crosslinks, and it is primarily utilized in domestic water piping and hydronic radiant heating & cooling systems like PP-R.
Fascinating Topics to Read –
- HDPE Pipe Sizes and Dimensions | A Complete Analysis
- Flow Rate of PVC Pipes for Schedule 40 and 80
- PVC Pipes: Schedule 40 VS 80
- CPVC VS PVC | Difference Between PVC and CPVC
- HDPE VS PVC | The Complete Guide
- PEX Vs PVC | The Definitive Guide
- PVDF Pipe Sizes and Dimensions | The Complete Guide
- PEX Pipe Sizes & Dimensions | The Complete Guide
The Takeaway –
That was all I wanted to say about the PP-R pipe sizes and dimensions. These polypropylene made pipes are a fantastic utility product for any factory or home looking to revamp its old pipings. Most plumbers will be willing to use the values mentioned in the above tables, but when it comes to the actual product going with the professional’s opinion is a wise choice.