Hello, people. Today I’m going to write a detailed guide on Polypropylene or PP-R pipe sizes & dimensions.
PP-R Pipe Sizes & Dimensions
|Nominal Pipe Size||OD (In inches)||ID (In Inches)||OD (In inches)||ID (In Inches)||OD (In inches)||ID (In Inches)||OD (In inches)||ID (In Inches)||OD (In inches)||ID (In Inches)|
Welding Guidelines with Optimum Operating Pressure
Outside diameter for pipe (mm)
|Heating up (Second)||Processing (Second)||Cooling Period (Minute)||
Depth of welding (mm)
Optimum Operating Pressure For Polypropylene Pipes
Service life in years
The values mentioned in the tables are reliable and sourced from credible sources. However, there might be a certain variance in the actual product. So, consult a professional before making any final decision.
Advantages of PP-R Pipes
- Lightweight is one of the salient benefits offered by polypropylene pipes. It has a density of 0.91g/cm3, 80% less than steel pipe and 90% less than copper pipe. That results in significant cost reduction in transportation and eases the already vigorous installation process.
- PP-R pipes are made from PP, which comprises polyolefin thermoplastics, whose molecules mainly contain carbon and hydrogen. With almost no toxic and harmful elements, PP-R pipes promise a reliable, hygienic performance. PPR pipes can be used in cold and hot water and indirect drinking water systems.
- Apart from a few oxidants, the PP-R pipe shows tremendous corrosion resistance. It will not corrode, will not rust, will not have electromechanical corrosion, and will not breed bacteria.
- The thermal conductivity of PP-R is 0.23w/m℃ giving, giving it a good heat preserver. It is only one-twentieth of steel pipe (43-52w/m℃) of steel pipe (43-52w/m℃). The excellent heat-preserving capability of PP-R pipes saves a lot of resources used for metal pipes, primarily in hot water and heating systems, Specifically insulation materials and energy.
- Small water flow resistance as the inner wall of the PP-R pipe is smooth. The pipe will not scale, and the wear resistance system is only 0.007, significantly lower than the metal pipe. The water flow capacity is also 30-35% higher than the metal pipes of the exact specification.
- PP-R pipes possess good heat welding performance. There is no interface because the hot melt connection between the pipes and fittings is made from the same polypropylene material. The piping system becomes a whole, making this pipe’s hot melt connection better than other metal or plastic pipes. During construction, there is no room for leakage at the connection part for long-term use.
Engaging Read – ABS Pipe Sizes & Dimensions For Schedule 40 and 80
Applications of Polypropylene Pipes
PP-R pipes have a variety of applications. Below are the most common PP-R uses and applications:
- PP-R is utilized to build hot and cold water systems, including central heating systems, floors, walls, and radiant heating systems.
- PP-R pipes can be used indirectly in purified water drinking water supply systems.
- PP-R pipes are the most preferred piping systems for central air conditioning systems.
- The industrial sector, specifically the chemical sector, prefers PP-R and PVDF pipes for transferring hazardous chemicals.
That was all I had to say on polypropylene pipe sizes and polypropylene pipe dimensions. Let’s dig deep to know more.
Is PP-R safe for drinking water?
PP-R pipes are considered a relatively safer option for making drinking water piping systems as they are made from polyolefins, mainly comprised of carbon and hydrogen atoms.
Which is better, CPVC or PPR?
The biggest difference between the two lies in their physical properties. CPVC has 60% more tensile strength and almost double the flexural strength than PP-R. That outstanding strength provides CPVC with better rates than the latter.
Which is better, PP-R or PVC?
PVC is heavier than PP-R and gets better corrosion resistance capabilities but can’t resist high temperatures. Therefore PVC is mainly used for cold water transportation, and PP-R is used for hot water transportation.
How are PP-R pipe sizes measured?
One needs to use a flexible measuring tape to measure the size of the PP-R pipe. Divide the circumference by pi to get the exact value of the pipe’s outside diameter (OD). For example – if the pipe’s circumference is 12.57 inches, and you divide it by the weight of pi (3.14), then you get the OD of 4 inches.
Which is better, PP-R or PEX?
As established above, PP-R suits cold and hot water pressurized plumbing and mechanical systems. PEX is a form of polyethylene with crosslinks, and it is primarily utilized in domestic water piping and hydronic radiant heating & cooling systems like PP-R.
Fascinating Topics to Read –
- HDPE Pipe Sizes and Dimensions | A Complete Analysis
- Flow Rate of PVC Pipes for Schedule 40 and 80
- PVC Pipes: Schedule 40 VS 80
- CPVC VS PVC | Difference Between PVC and CPVC
- HDPE VS PVC | The Complete Guide
- PEX Vs PVC | The Definitive Guide
- PVDF Pipe Sizes and Dimensions | The Complete Guide
- PEX Pipe Sizes & Dimensions | The Complete Guide
To sum up, polypropylene pipes are advantageous for their durability, chemical resistance, and ease of installation. Determining the appropriate size for your plumbing system is essential to ensure maximum performance and longevity.
Considering pressure, flow rate, and temperature, you can choose the proper polypropylene pipe size suitable for your project. Choosing the right size pipe is crucial in preventing costly repairs and ensuring an efficient plumbing system for an extended period.
Thanks for reading. Have a lovely day.