Hello People, ABS pipes are used worldwide thanks to their toughness which is not found in PVC pipes. Let’s have a look at ABS pipe dimensions. So without further ado, let’s get started.
ABS Pipe Sizes & ABS Pipe Dimensions
ABS Schedule 40 Sizes & Dimensions
|Nominal Pipe Size||O.D.||Average I.D.||Min. Wall||Nominal wt./ft.||Maximum W.P PSI|
ABS Schedule 80 Sizes & Dimensions
|Nominal Pipe Size||O.D||Average I.D||Min. Wall Thickness||Nominal wt./ft.||Maximum W.P PSI|
Fascinating Read – What is PVC Fittings? | What is PVC Connection? | The Definitive Guide
ABS Pipe Advanatges
- Boasts superior fluid flow due to a smooth interior finish.
- Easier and less expensive to install compared to metal pipes.
- With proper and professional handling, it can withstand earth loads and shipping.
- Lightweight (One person can load and unload with ease.)
- It can withstand mechanical damage even at lower temperatures.
- Do not rust, rot, corrode, or collect waste.
- Gives good performance at an operational temperature of up to 60°C (140°F).
ABS Pipe Applications
ABS pipes & fittings have become a force to reckon with for DWV applications worldwide, thanks to their incredible combination of properties. According to a few reports, contractors have installed more than 10 billion feet of ABS pipes & fittings in residential and commercial areas. ABS pressure pipes are also gaining market share for industrial applications, largely driven by PVC Schedule 80 pipes.
Mostly available in Schedule 40 and 80 dimensions, ABS pipes are highly advisable for solid-wall and cellular core constructions. It is ideal to be utilized in both underground and above-ground applications, however, when blended with the right pigments.
Adequate pigments like water-based latex paint can protect the pipe from ultraviolet radiation and jurisdictions. But also keep in mind to consult with the material supplier about the rules and regulations regarding the particular area.
It is approved for potable water systems and is also more rigid and durable than PVC. It is also one of the least resistant plastic to solvents.
Specifying ABS pipe is an easy task as the pipe wall of Schedule 40 ABS DWV pipe is the same thickness as Schedule 40 (IPS) steel pipe.
ABS pipes are extensively utilized for:
- Industrial drainage and vent systems
- Pressurized liquid lines for crude and irrigation oil, and salt water.
- Interior and Exterior sanitary
- Pumped waste
Chemical Resistance of ABS Pipe
According to several studies, most notably one done by the ABS institute, ABS pipes are unaffected and resistant to household chemicals including drain and bowl cleaners:
- Borax cleaners
- Calgon water softener
- Ammonia 5% solution
- Renuzit spot remover
- Tide detergent
- Smilax cleanser
- Liquid Sani-flush
- Liquid Plumber
- Lysol bowl cleaner
- Vanish bowl cleaner
- Liquid Vanish bowl cleaner
- Sno-Bol bowl cleaner
Interesting Read – What are PVC Pipe Sizes? | What are PVC Pipe Dimensions? | The Complete Guide
10 Easy and Quick Installation Steps
- Measure the pipe from the bottom or shoulder of each socket into which the pipe is supposed to fit.
- Cut the pipe to requires length. Ensure that the cut is square.
- Ream inside and chamfer outside of the pipe to eliminate all burrs. Sand lightly.
- Clean all the grease, dirt, and moisture from the pipe and fitting socket using a dry cloth.
- Check the dry fit of the pipe inside the fitting socket.
- Apply a light coat of ASTM D2235-compliant ABS solvent cement to the inside of the fitting socket and the outside of the pipe.
- Thrust pipe into fitting socket giving the pipe a one-quarter turn and ensuring it goes to the socket bottom.
- Hold the joint together until a tight set is obtained.
- Check for cement beads around joints; wipe extra cement from the pipe.
- Don’t move or even touch the system (if possible) until the joints are cured. Wait for the time recommended by the solvent.
Below are the frequently asked questions for ABS pipe dimensions. Let’s dig deep to know more.
What is the difference between ABS and PVC pipes?
There are many differences between PVC and ABS pipes. For instance, PVC is more flexible; on the other hand, ABS is more durable and shock-resistant. ABS is better than handling cold temperatures but can warp or bend under direct exposure to sunlight. PVC is good at muffling the sound of running water. In terms of their prices in the North American markets, both cost the same.
Does ABS pipe need a primer?
Primer is used to clean and soften the surface of the plastic to ensure a good solvent weld. It is used for both PVC and CPVC but is not required for ABS pipes. The primer is identified by its purple color.
Is it possible to join ABS and PVC pipes?
It is possible to join ABS and PVC pipes, but it can only be done using a mechanical coupling. Both of them cant be glued together.
How long will the ABS pipe last?
An ABS pipe has an average lifespan of 50 – 80 years.
Why ABS pipe is always black?
ABS is always black because it contains Bisphenol-A. On the contrary, PVC pipes are mostly found in white and grey colors.
- What is Condensation Polymerization? | The Definitive Guide
- Top 12 Plastic Film Manufacturers and Suppliers
- Plexiglass Vs. Acrylic | What are the Differences and Similarities?
- What is Compressive Strength of Plastics | The Complete Guide
- 6 Best Plastic Molding Techniques | A Complete Analysis
ABS pipes offer a cost-effective and durable solution for a wide range of plumbing and drainage applications. Understanding the various ABS pipe sizes and dimensions is essential for selecting the appropriate size and ensuring proper installation.
By consulting with a professional and carefully considering your project’s needs, you can confidently choose the right ABS pipe size and dimension for your application, ensuring a successful and long-lasting plumbing system. With proper installation and maintenance, ABS pipes can provide reliable performance for years to come.
Kindly share your thoughts and reviews in the comment box.
Have a wonderful day
3 thoughts on “ABS Pipe Sizes & Dimensions For Schedule 40 and 80”
I need to find 1.25″ schedule 40 ABS pipe. Where can I purchase some.
Nice article on abs pipe sizes. I must say I’m impressed
Thank you very much